- Admitted: 2001
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association
- 2009, New York Bar Association
◆ Practice Areas
- Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Commercial Transactions
- Corporate Control Contests, including Proxy Fights
- Corporate Governance
- Crisis Management
- Compliance and Regulatory
- Media, Entertainment, Sports and Marketing
- IP, Tech and Data
- IT System Transaction and Dispute Resolution
- Complex Litigation and International Arbitration
|1999||Passed the National Bar Exam|
|2000||Received an LL.B. from the University of Tokyo Faculty of Law|
|2008||Received an LL.M. from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law|
|2001 thru 2004||Mitsui, Yasuda, Wani & Maeda, Tokyo|
|2004 thru 2007||Orrick Tokyo Law Offices|
|2008 thru 2009||Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, San Francisco|
|2009 to date||Hibiya Park Law Offices|
◆ Professional Affiliations
- 2014 to date Statutory Auditor of Tokyo Filmex (International Film Festival)
- 2018 to date Statutory Auditor of Coly, Inc.
- 2018 to date Adviser to Japan Flying Disc Association
- 2019 to date Supervisory Director of Mori Trust Reit, Inc.
- 2021 to date Statutory Auditor of The Film School of Tokyo
- 2023 to date Director of VRM Consortium
◆ Other Professional Qualifications
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Compliance Officer
“Practice of Preparation for Shareholders’ Meeting for Year 2023 and Anticipated Questions and Planned Answers”
Published by Chuokeizai-sha (2023) (Co-author)
“Points to Consider in Preparing Business Report and Audit Report for Annual Meeting of Shareholders in June 2022” (in Gekkan Kansayaku (Monthly Statutory Auditor)
Published by Japan Audit & Supervisory Board Members Association (2022)
“Anticipated Questions and Planned Answers for the 2021 Shareholders’ Meeting – Determination of Directors’ Compensation, DX, Human Rights in Business, Virtual Shareholders Meetings, Transition to New Market Segments.” (In Business Lawyers)
Published by Bengo4.com (2021)
“Preliminary Explanation of the Draft Guidelines for the Revised Whistleblower Protection Act” (in Business Homu)
Published by Chuokeizai-sha (2021)
“The Amendment of Whistleblower Protection Act Providing Opportunity to Upgrade Whistleblowing Rules to Make Them More Effective — Modifying Scope of Whistleblowers” (in Business Homu)
Published by Chuokeizai-sha (2020)
“COVID-19: Considerations for Tourist Attraction Business and Venue Business in Infectious Disease Crisis” (in Shojihomu Portal)
Published by Shojihomu (2020)
“Guidance on Practice for Audit & Supervisory Board and Board Members”
Published by Shojihomu (2019) (Co-author)
“Judicial Precedents Commentary Series, No. 7 – Fiduciary Duties of Directors and Statutory Auditors in Sei Crest Case (Judgement of Osaka High Court on May 21, 2015) – ” (in Gekkan Kansayaku (Monthly Statutory Auditor))
Published by Japan Audit & Supervisory Board Members Association (2019)
“Keys to Successful Utilization of Certification for Whistleblowing Compliance Management System” (in Shojihomu Portal)
Published by Shojihomu (2019)
“Risk Management for Medical Corporations” (in Kikan Kanji)
Published by Zaikai (2018 -)
“Judicial Precedents Commentary Series, No. 1 – Daiwa Bank Shareholder Deliberative Action, First Instance Judgement – ” (in Gekkan Kansayaku (Monthly Statutory Auditor)
Published by Japan Audit & Supervisory Board Members Association (2018)
“Issues to Consider in Talent Agreements and Athlete Agreements – Key Points of the Report of the Study Group on Human Resource and Competition Policy Published by Competition Policy Center, Japan Fair Trade Commission” (in Shojihomu Portal)
Published by Shojihomu (2018)
“Practice and Procedures for International Arbitration” (in The Lawyers, Vol. 13, No.11)
Published by ILS Publications, Inc. (2016)
“Use of Investment Treaty Arbitration Such as Investor-State Arbitration Under ISDS Clause in TPP for Companies Doing Business Overseas” (in The Lawyers, Vol. 13, No.8)
Published by ILS Publications, Inc. (2016)
“Accounting Fraud in Public Interest Corporations and General Corporations (and Lawsuit for Seeking Damages)” (in Public Interest Corporations and General Corporations, Vol. 914
Published by Zenkoku Kouekihoujin Kyoukai (2016) (Co-author)
“Handbook for Directors and Officers” [2nd Ed.]
Published by Shojihomu (2015) (Co-author)
“Corporate Governance: Expectation for New System of Company with Audit Etc. Committee” (in Japan Business Law Review 2015)
Published by ILS (2014)
“Corporate Litigation: Lawsuits, Non-contentious Cases and Provisional Disposition Cases (Specialized Suit Lecture Series No. 7)”
Published by Minji-ho Kenkyu-kai (2013) (Co-author)
“Advertising to Children in Japan” (in Young Consumers, Vol. 12, No. 4.)
Published by Emerald Publishing Limited (2011) (Co-author)
- “Duties, Roles, and Legal Responsibilities of Statutory Auditor etc.” (KPMG Japan, Statutory Auditors Forum).
- “How to Establish and Operate Effective Whistleblowing Compliance Management System” (Takara D&IR Research Institute).
- “International Data Transfer Regulations and Data Governance Building – Latest Practices on Personal Information Protection” (Takara D&IR Research Institute)
- “What is ESG? – Investor’s Paradigm Shift That All Pharmaceutical Companies Should Know” (Reuters Events Pharma Japan)
- “Guidance on Practice for Audit & Supervisory Board Members” (Mitsui & Co., In-company Seminar)
- “How to Prevent Accounting Fraud” (Lecture at the Japan Cancer Society)
◆ Representative Engagements
- Counsel to a leading food manufacturer, prepared and negotiated contracts regarding an OEM agreement with a global food manufacturer based in the U.S.
- Counsel to a leading apparel manufacturer/distributor, prepared and negotiated contracts regarding distributorship agreements and license agreements with numerous overseas apparel brands.
- Counsel to a leading TV station, prepared and negotiated contracts regarding broadcasting rights contracts with a sports governing body.
- Counsel to a leading global food, beverage, and seasoning manufacturer, prepared and negotiated contracts regarding research, development, commercialization and license agreements with a U.S.-based biotech company.
- Offered advice on general legal issues as legal adviser for an entertainment agency.
- Offered advice on general legal issues as legal adviser for a sports governing body.
- Offered advice on interpretation and application of the Copyright Act and other laws to esteemed songwriters and composers.
- Offered advice on numerous legal issues particularly relating to marketing issues to a leading diversified entertainment company having movie production/distribution department.
- Offered advice on numerous legal issues particularly relating to marketing issues to advertising agencies (or to U.S. law firms acting as counsel to such agencies).
- Offered legal advice regarding fintech-related apps to a software development start-up company.
- Offered legal advice regarding IoT-related products/services to a software/hardware development start-up company.
- Counsel to listed companies in proxy fights.
- Counsel to shareholders in proxy fights.
- Counsel to listed companies in responding to activist shareholders.
- Offered advice and guidance on numerous shareholders meetings of listed companies.
- Offered advice to a listed company with respect to the Corporate Governance Code.
Crisis Management and Third Party Committee
- Administration of third-party committees (Administration for third-party committees and internal investigation committees for listed companies on accounting fraud, quality fraud and other misconduct cases)
- Offered advice to a corporate group dominated by a listed holding company regarding cases involving foreign public official corruption discovered through internal whistleblowing.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Counsel to a listed company with trading and food businesses, conducted due diligence investigation, and prepared and negotiated contracts in acquisition of a food trading company.
- Counsel to a listed IT company, conducted due diligence investigation and prepared contracts in business integration between listed companies through joint share transfer scheme.
- Counsel to a leading commercial bank in conducted due diligence investigation, prepared contracts, and offered legal advice in dissolving a joint venture and establishing a new joint venture using class shares and a company split.
- Counsel to a foreign-invested worker dispatching company, conducted due diligence investigation, submitted a filing to the Japan Fair Trade Commission, and prepared contracts in acquisition of a Japanese worker dispatching company.
- Counsel to an electronics retail company, conducted due diligence investigations, and prepared and negotiated contracts for acquisition of medium-sized companies.
- Numerous experiences of conducting due diligence investigations, preparing and negotiating contracts, and offering legal advice in numerous corporate acquisitions.
Software Development Disputes
- Counsel to a leading securities company in a lawsuit wherein the securities company sought compensation for damages against a software development company in a case of a failure of software development.
- Counsel to numerous user companies in lawsuits relating to failures of software development.
- Numerous experiences of preparing and negotiating contracts regarding software development.
Complex Litigation/Dispute Resolution
- Counsel to a leading karaoke machine manufacturer in a lawsuit wherein copyright holders sought compensation for damages against the karaoke machine manufacturer due to alleged copyright infringement.
- Counsel to a video/smartphone game developer in a cancellation action at the Japan Patent Office and a lawsuit at the Intellectual Property High Court in a case wherein the game developer sought cancellation of a registered trademark not in use.
- Counsel to a Taiwanese company in a cross-border arbitration case before the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) in a contractual dispute between a Japanese company and the Taiwanese company.
- Counsel to a Japanese company in a cross-border arbitration case before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in a contractual dispute between a Taiwanese company and the Japanese company.
- Counsel to a representative director and directors in a shareholder derivative action of a listed company.
- Counsel to a city in a PFI project regarding rebuilding of a city hospital, prepared application documents, project contracts, and other relevant documents, and negotiated contracts.
- Counsel to leading investment banks as arranger in securitization transactions of consumer loans in drafting contracts.
- Counsel to an investment fund, negotiated contracts with investors and offered legal advice for such contracts.
- Counsel to foreign-based companies in setting up of their Japanese local entities, assisted in corporate formation procedures and assisted them to start such corporations.
- Offered legal advice to a leading U.S.-based apparel manufacturer on labor issues generally in its Japanese subsidiary.
- Acting as legal adviser for non-profit organizations, offered advice on their legal issues.
◆ Community Responsibility
- Statutory Auditor of Accounting and Tax Professionals Network for NPO
- Statutory Auditor of Charity Santa